I’m a list person. I have lists everywhere, in notebooks, on my phone, on random pieces of paper that float around my house like confetti. I have lists of my lists.
If you’re a list person like me then you probably (re)write your daily to-do list each morning and then spend the rest of the day battling to get those items crossed off it. Some days you can blitz it, and some days all you can manage is to add things to it, and then move them across to tomorrow’s list.
Its Monday, and this morning I was staring blankly at my empty to-do list. It had been a long couple of weeks and the kids were cranky. I just didn’t know where to start…My little arrow prayer of,
“please just get me through today,”
went up and came back down with the idea of,
” why not list what you actually get done today, rather than what you think you need to do?”
It was very strange going through my day without my regular to-do list. Rather than crossing things off I was writing things down, things that I’d already done. My “to-do” list became my “done” list and by the time lunchtime rolled around I was so surprised at how much I’d already accomplished!
– Rekindled last night’s fire
– Fed the kids breakfast.
– Fed me breakfast.
– Got the kids dressed.
– Had a shower and got myself dressed before 9am.
– Relit the fire because I overloaded it too soon.
– Sorted, folded and put away 3 baskets worth of laundry while the kids played in the wardrobe (did they disappear to Narnia for a bit? I’ll never know.)
– Washed and hung up 2 more loads.
– Washed last night’s and this morning’s dishes.
– Built a few Duplo towers.
– Knocked down a few Duplo towers.
– Rescued a Mary statue from the toy basket.
– Fed the kids morning tea.
– Relit the fire again because the wood’s green and just won’t take…
– Began tidying my craft room.
-Put the kids down for naps, and held my 1yr old for 90% of it because that’s what normally happens around here.
– Fed the kids lunch.
– Relit the fire *again* but this time with new wood so hopefully it will actually burn 😐
– Made an appointment for the kids with the dentist.
– Rescheduled a chiropractor appointment.
– Built more Duplo towers, and houses for a family of horses.
– Spent the rest of the afternoon having tea and cake with my mother-in-law and her mother. Watching my girls interact with their grandparents is just beautiful 💕
– Fed the kids dinner, got them cleaned up and off to bed.
I honestly enjoyed making a done list a lot more than I thought I would. While I’ve no doubt I’ll go back to my regular to-do list on a day-to-day basis, using a done list will be something I (hope I remember to) use next time my day is looking a bit too much like a Monday!
P.S. My dining room isn’t always this clean – a big thanks to my brother who spent his Sunday afternoon playing with the girls outside, giving me the chance to do a blitz-clean and enjoy total tidyness for about 3.583 minutes!
P.P.S. Don’t look too closely at the floor, that only got a light sweeping 😁